Monday, August 8, 2016

Monday, August 8, 2016

So I have a little poem I want to share with everyone this week!
Anyone that has served a mission I'm sure to an extent will understand this pretty well.

The Highs and Lows of  a Mission

A mission is a strange experience
It is a trial and a test.
A mission throws at you the worst
Yet, teaches you the best.
I've never been so happy,
I've never been so depressed.
I've never felt so forsaken,
I've never felt so blessed.
I've never been so confused,
Things have never been so clear.
I've never felt my Heavenly Father so distant, He's never been so near.
I've never been so discouraged,
I've never been so full of hope.
I feel I could go on for forever,
I think I've come to the end of my rope.
I've never had it quite so easy,
I've never had it quite so tough.
Things have never been so smooth,
Things have never been so rough.
I've never traveled through more valleys, I've never ascended more peaks.
I've never met so many nice people.
I've never met so many freaks!
I've never had so many ups,
I've never had so many downs.
I've never worn so many smiles,
I've never had so many frowns.
I've never been so lonely,
I've never had so many friends.
BOY, I hope this is over soon,
GOSH, I hope this never ends.

-Unknown

This poem pretty much describes my mission. This is the best experience I have ever had. It's also the hardest. I've never been more confused or discouraged in my life but every day I find something that makes it worth it. I love this place so much and the people are amazing. I have met people from Africa, Nepal, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Samoa, and of course Tahiti :) I love all of these people so much! It's overwhelming at times but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
I know that the message we are sharing is true. I have been able to learn so much from the people I am teaching. Sometimes I think they don't even need me that much! But I sure do need them. It's hard. But I want everyone to know that I love this place (even at 125 degrees) and all of the people here. Serving a mission is the best decision you could have made. I'm so happy that I have a couple of converts that are preparing to serve a mission! I'm excited to see all of the amazing people that will be affected by their spirits because I know they have changed me. Gosh I can't even express how much I love being here!

Okay now for some awesome news:
Ingrid got baptized!!!! Between Sister Bradley and I we have been able to have a baptism every week for a month! It's been such an amazing experience! I love seeing people get baptized because you can see the change in them as soon as they come out of the water. Sadly we won't have another baptism until September 3rd but we are so excited for it!

Ingrid's baptism was so amazing! Her mom and step dad where able to come and they were both crying! Her step day is a member of the Paraiso ward which is the Spanish ward in the Paradise stake. Her mom isn't a member but I don't think she is too far behind Ingrid. It's amazing to see families come together through this gospel!

The rest of this week was crazy and long.. We had to cancel a lesson because there was a member who lived above our investigators apartment who's husband had passed away not too long before we got there. We had our ward mission leader and Damoreyah with us and we were able to be there for that sister and also for our investigators who were pretty upset because of it. We said a prayer together and then went outside to help comfort the sister. Shortly after that members of her ward started showing up. Several priesthood holders where there ready to help in any way and to give her a blessing. One of the firemen looked around at us and said "wow. I've never seen this many people show up for someone before." It was an amazing teaching experience for the people around and for our investigators. I was able to testify to them of the power of the priesthood and also the family that we have as members of the church. It was also a perfect opportunity for Damoreyah to learn as well. As a new member of the church it was good for him to see how much the members love each other and how important it is to serve each other. He always says he loves to serve and I think that moment strengthened his testimony even more.

I love this gospel and I know without any doubt that it is true. I get to receive a confirmation of that every day and I'm so thankful for this time that I have to serve and to share it with others. I love you all so much! I hope you have an amazing week!

Love,

Sister Hopper





No comments:

Post a Comment